Saturday, February 9, 2013

Made it Malaysia, delirious. ;)

Well, the title says it... I made it to Malaysia!!!  AND my suitcases made it too!

The 15 hour flight.
Surprisingly, it was better than the 5 hour flight!  Not only did the check-in guy give Meredith and I a row to ourselves, we had pillows, blankets, and movies to watch!  As soon as we were in the air I passed out.  After about 8 hours of in and out of sleep and tossing and turning, I woke up to have breakfast on the plane.  We had two choices: clam and chicken something Or ham something.  I chose the ham something...which ended up being creamy hashbrowns and red salsa on top of eggs and sausage, or at least that's what it looked like.  Now the picky eater I am, I normally would not have eaten that.  But I want to try new things, including airplane food. (OR I was just extremely hungry and had to eat it or starve.)  However, the yogurt, bread with jelly, coffee, and orange juice were delicious.  Coffee was a bad idea though.  Jen, you know why. :D  Then to entertain myself, I watched the movie, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower".  It ranks third for weirdest movie ever, but I still enjoyed it. Then I listened to music and rested until we arrived in Hong Kong.

Hong Kong.
They didn't make me have my Visa afterwards!  Wooohooo!  Here, Meredith and I were the ONLY blondes in the entire airport, but no one was "petting" us, so that's good.  We were only here for about an hour before we were on the plane again to head to Kuala Lumpur!  On this flight I read a book Meredith had brought called, "How to travel the world on $50 a day".  It was extremely relevant as the author had traveled to Malaysia before and talked about transportation, accommodations, and food.  There was also information about not being scared, which I needed to read.  I'm not that scared though, just a little nervous which I get from my Aunt Beth.  One peculiar thing did occur on this flight.  With about an hour left before landing, I heard the sound of a spray can and saw misty looking "clouds" forming in the aisle getting closer and closer.  I thought to myself, "OH MY GOSH, THEY'RE KILLING US."  Then I realized it was disinfectant spray.  The flight attendants finger didn't come off the button while walking down the ENTIRE aisle.  So yes, we were coughing...and covering our eyes...and saying "Chill with the spray can, lady!"  I still don't know if that was normal routine or if someone was sick or what.  Weirrrrrrd.  One funny thing also occurred.  When we were about to land, the flight attendant wanted to put Meredith's backpack in the overhead storage thing.  Now, this flight attendant was probably a little bit bigger than me (muscle wise) and asked if I would help her lift the bag.  Why she asked puny me, and not the MAN sitting directly beside me, I don't know.  But I helped her, and as we were lifting the bag, she said, "Don't let go." (Imagine in an asian voice.)  I giggled and then laughed out loud with Meredith once she left.  It wasn't THAT funny, but give us a break.  We had been on a plane for 25 HOURS.  I think I'm getting delirious... Hehe.

I'm here if you didn't already know.  After getting off the plane, Meredith and I took the metro to where our baggage was.  Somehow I managed to lift BOTH my bags.  I AM getting stronger Coach! :D   Then we were off to find the guy to pick us up.  We walked and walked some more, and then went around the corner to see a TON of people lined up along a railing...ALL with signs.  Most were in Chinese though, so when I spotted some English on two white signs saying, "Sarah Alyse Johnson" and "Meredith Anne Keeley", we knew we had a ride!  We went to greet him and man oh man, that was tough.  He definitely wasn't fluent in English, and while in the delirious state I'm in right now, I was doing EVERYTHING I could to not bust out laughing.  He was saying something along the lines of waiting for another student who is arriving in two hours and then something about a SIM card.  Random, I know.  Meredith told him we didn't need anything, so now we're just sitting in front of "Malaysia Wok Express" waiting for our future classmate.  One odd thing so far... I went to use the restroom, and there was a water hose beside the toilet! Don't start using your imagination too much though, there was also TP.  Thank the lawd!

I'm thankful to have made it safely, and I'm extremely excited to get to the school.

Talk to y'all soon!


1 comment:

  1. Love reading about your experiences! Hope you have hot water at your permanent housing.